Associate Director Industrial Design
The Client is a world-leading design studio focused on creating innovative visitor experiences on behalf of some of the biggest and best-known galleries, museums and
As a key senior member of our growing interdisciplinary studio, the candidate will be an Associate Director with significant experience working across product design in the built environment.
The candidate will form part of the Leadership Team, assisting in decision making for the future business direction and managing certain aspects of the studio.
Being able to work with direction from the studio heads within the studio is a pre-requisite, as is having strong communication skills and the confidence to both present ideas
and get involved in all stages of the creative process, from ideation, to production, and implementation.
* Provide a creative, effective and innovative senior role in the design team with a particular strength in industrial design for wayfinding projects.
* Participate and contribute in brainstorming/design sprints, conduct any relevant research for projects, add insight and value, and assist in achieving studio and project goals.
* Generate design concepts through to final design. This includes developing presentations for both internal and external meetings and presentations. This will include the ability to utilise 3d printing opportunities.
* Attend any meetings/presentations as required through the design and delivery, providing clear and effective presentations – visual, written and spoken.
* Work collaboratively with the graphic designers ensuring from design concept stage to delivery, any product is fully co-ordinated with the graphics and meets the highest quality.
* Work with other consultants, eg Structural engineers, M&E engineers, Landscape designers, Architects to ensure the work is fully integrated into the overall design of any project
* Establish and maintain relationships with preferred lists of manufacturers and suppliers
* Have a thorough knowledge of current technology, and how this can be integrated into the product design.
* Produce drawings and specifications that show clear design intent, that ensure an accurate tender and contractors can provide clear and accurate costing. This must include 3d
* Liaise with contractors, ensuring all work produced is of the highest quality whilst providing value for money. This includes signing off shop drawings, procuring samples/prototypes, ensuring all 2d design is fully integrated in the manufacturing stage.
* Ensure all M&E work is fully co-ordinated with the design.
* Responsible for accomplishing and maintaining the quality of design throughout all phases of the project showing complete attention to detail, with consideration for the end user and how they ultimately engage with the studio’s creative output.
* Deliver work according to an agreed timescale and be able to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
* Be flexible in design and able to take direction, feedback and observations with a positive
* Ensure all records and files relating to the design work are maintained on any particular project.
* Carry out ad hoc duties as requested by appropriate members of the team.
* Qualities and essential skills.
* Design obsessive, aware of best practice in industry but driven to advance our understanding of its potential.
* Strong conceptual, innovation and creative.
* Ability to effectively present ideas.
* Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
* Fluent in written and spoken English.
* High level of interpersonal communication skills.
* Time management including the ability to meet tight deadlines
* Ability to meet deadlines and multi-task with minimal supervision.
* In depth knowledge of DDA guidelines and best practise principles
* Excellent computer knowledge, minimum Adobe Creative Suite, Vectorworks, 3d rendering packages.
* Bachelors Degree in related design field (Product Design, Graphics Design, Industrial Design).
* 5+ Years of experience within a related field.
* Strategic thinker capable of applying insights to all design disciplines, further assisting the team in the creation of branding, wayfinding and environmental projects.
* A talented and committed experienced designer, passionate about design, the creative process and design thinking.
* Have leadership skills, motivating and inspiring the teams to create the best possible work.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org